How To Find IP Address in Windows 10
Dear Computer Lady,
I have a desktop computer with Windows 10. I am trying to set up a program that needs me to enter the IP address.
How do I find the IP address of my computer?
Thank you, Traci
Every computer that is connected to a network, or the internet needs an IP address. Fortunately, there are a couple of ways to find it in Windows 10.
Lets start by looking in the Control Panel.
1. Right click on the “Start” icon (the white flag) and click on “Control Panel” in the context menu that appears.
2. In the Control Panel, click on “Network and Internet”. (If you don’t see “Network and Internet” click next to “View by:” and select “Category”.
3. Click on “Network and Sharing Center”
4. In the Network and sharing center, you will see your active networks (usually only 1) Find the section with Access type, homegroup and connections. Click on the blue word to the right of “Connections: and a status box will open.
5. Click on the “Details” button in that status box and another box will open. Your IP address will be in that list.
Next, we will look in the Windows 10 “settings” app to find the IP address. This might be a little easier to find than the Control Panel.
1. Click on the start icon, then click the settings icon (it looks like a little gear) in the lower-left corner of the menu.
(or use the keyboard to press the windows logo key and the letter, I at the same time)
2. In the Settings app, click on “Network and Internet”.
3. Click on your connection type in the left column, usually either ethernet or Wi-Fi.
4. Click on the connection at the top of the right column and your IP address will be displayed.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+