How To Create A Group in Gmail
Dear Computer Lady,
I belong to a quilting group and need to send all 12 girls updates and messages.
I’m having trouble grouping the contacts together under a quilting group. It takes so much time to send each one individually.
I use a mini iPad and use my gmail account. I have googled some instructions but for some reason this old brain can’t follow those directions.
Would you have clearer directions for me to follow.
Creating a group in Gmail is a lot easier than sending 12 emails one at a time. Lets see how we can do this.
First, it is easier to do on your computer if you have access to one, but it can be done on your iPad as well.
1. To start, open your web browser on either your computer or iPad and go to www.google.com/contacts.
This will display your Google Contacts with a list in the main section of the window, and navigation links in the left column.
2. Click on “Groups” in the left column.
3. Click on “New Group” in the left column.
4. Type a name for your group in the box provided, then click the “Create Group” button. You will now have an empty group with no members.
5. Now, go back to your list of contacts (Click “All Contacts” in the left column) and click or tap on the name of the contact that you want to add to your group.
6. When the contact’s details are displayed in a smaller pop-up window, you will see “Add to groups” in the lower-left corner of the window. Click (or tap) on “Add to groups”.
7. Click (or tap) on the name of the group you want to add your contact to, then click (or tap) on a blank spot in the box and your contact should be added to the group.
The next time you want to send an email to your quilting group, just type the name of your group in the “To:” section and the email will be addressed to the entire group.
It’s Your Turn: What do you think?
…. Share your experience in the comments box below.
Elizabeth Boston is a Web designer, Social Media Consultant and managing editor of, “Ask The Computer Lady”.
Connect with Elizabeth on Google+